C'est les choses dans ma tête.

10.10.05

Impromptu Speech & Annoying English Habits

Today, I was nervous.

I was nervous for one (1) reason only.

Today was the day for our class to give impromptu speeches.

'Oh no, I didn't do anything to prepare! Oh yeah, I couldn't have done anything to prepare!' ran though my head over and over. I felt the nervous twitch creeping up my neck. Bow! My neck twitched! Wait...
...my neck doesn't twitch.

So, I went up there. I was the first to volunteer. The craven side of me had been defeated this once. I was the first one up there. (The real reason is that I really had to pee. Bad. So, I wanted to do my speech then go to the restroom.)

In speech class, the speeches work like this:
You draw three notecards from a big bin containing note cards with nouns, quotes, or current events on them. Luckily, I didn't draw a quote. Luckily, I didn't draw a current event either. I had a full hand of nouns. H--------

So, I had a choice to make. All I remember is that through the agony of an about-to-burst bladder, I picked 'summer' as my topic. Summer, what can I talk about with that? I only had one and a half minutes to prepare my cards. I wrote down a good main point, 'Places people go on summer vacation.' Good, I can talk about that for a long time, but I need at least one more main point.

I have it! My second main point ended up being a weak one indeed, but it worked. I talked about how some people get seasonal disorder because the beloved summer had come and pass. Yum, summer is delicious. The lemonade, the swimming pools, no school; just pure delight.

Well, I gave my speech, met the two minute time requirement, and dashed off. I dashed to where ---? That's right the restroom.

Now that I finished that story, I can get off subject a little.

My English teacher is starting to get on my nerves. She is a great teacher and all except, she has a major flaw. Well, to me it is a flaw but to others, it could be considered a strength. Here's what she does, (I did it above as a transition) 'I went to school and got a lot of -----.' Then she swings her hands around so we will fill in the blank. And of course, the whole class says, 'homework!'

She does this all the time, probably 10-20 times per hour. I understand why she does it. She is trying to keep our attention, but she does it for the stupidest stuff. Today, she said, 'And then the character ----- (motioned for response... No response) went ----- (motioned for response... One girl says 'home.' [thankfully])

See what I mean. It's pointless and annoying.

Well, I think I am going to go sketch now.

Or something...

No comments:

Dessart in the Desert © 2007 by Ryan Alspaugh