C'est les choses dans ma tête.

19.10.05

Barefoot Gen

I just read this really good graphic novel.

It is a great book called 'Barefoot Gen.'

I found myself at the adult graphic novel section of my local library and randomly picked up this book, read the back, then decided to check it out. I am so happy I did. I couldn't put this book down! It took me only this one day to read this 300 page graphic novel. If you are unfamiliar with graphic novels, they are these really cool books that resemble comic books. They are different from comic books in that they actually tell a story and are for the more mature audience. They usually deal with deeper things than super heroes.

Well, this graphic novel, Barefoot Gen, is one of the best I have ever read. It is a Japanese family living in Hiroshima during World War 2. The book takes you right up past the atomic bomb dropping. It is very sad. I wish that World War 2 was never started, but it was, so I must live with it.

I told Ryo how sad it was that all the people's skin was actually melting on then while they were still walking around. He said, "That's not sad, it is just a fact of life." Well, I don't know about you, but facts of life may be scarier than facts of fiction. Actually, most times for me, they are.

Well, I guess there are 4 parts to this series and I have just read the first. That explains the abrupt ending on the last page! That was a little upsetting, but all in all, the book was excellent.

I want to go watch Nausicca.

No comments:

Dessart in the Desert © 2007 by Ryan Alspaugh