C'est les choses dans ma tête.

19.8.06

The French Dictionary Adventures

Two days ago, I started the journey. I hopped in my car, and headed down to the Levee. Once there, I parked, got out of my car, and then finally made my way into Borders.

I started to look at the newest deals on the Popular Fiction table. I realized that I had a mission, so I went on my search for the Foreign Language section. I headed back towards the 'Literature' section, first. I didn't see anything that had to do with any language other than our own there. I spin around. An employee is standing at a music sampling station and blasting music really loud. I figured he was bored and had too much free time on his hands, so I decided to ask him where the foreign language section of the store was. After pointing the way, I headed down there.

I began scanning the shelves for the French books. Once I found them, I looked for the French-English dictionaries. I spot them.
Wait a second. What is the title of the French Dictionary I was supposed to get? Shit. I left that paper with the title on it at home. Goddamnit. I think that it had a name in it or something. Hmmm, not Mariam Webster... Ah! Maybe this is it. Harper Collins.
I grabbed the Harper Collins version of the dictionary, checked out and left the store. I arrive back at home, open my notebook to do the French, and realize that I had gotten the wrong dictionary. It is supposed to be the Bantam New College French-English dictionary. Damn, mother fucker. I was happy I still had the receipt.

Now let's leap forward to today. I convince my dad to take me to Borders (so I don't have to use my gas), and we return my book. I head back down to the Foreign Language section only to find a girl in my French class picking up the last copy of the Bantam New College French-English dictionary.
Shit, mother fucking, cock-sucking, bastard.
So, I go back to my dad and sister, and we leave Borders with haste. I figured Barnes & Noble would have at elast one copy of this dictionary, so that's where we headed next.

Barnes & Noble was quite crowded, considering Purdue is starting this Monday. I weave through the crowd to the back of the store where the Foreign Language section is. My eyes moved back and forth, reading the titles. My mouth changed from it's usual smirk to pure disgust when I found that Barnes & Noble didn't have the book in stock, either.

We hop back into the car, and head to the mall across the street. I run into Walden Books, and have no luck there, either.
This is not my day.

My dad gets an idea, "Let's go to University Bookstore."

We go back to the other side of town that we just had come from.

Campus is a mess. So many people. I get dizzy.

My uncle is a part owner of University Bookstore, so I figure we might get a discount on the book.
Bonus.

We weave through an even denser crowd than before, and arrive at the text book section of the store. As I move down a staircase, I see the French-English dictionaries all lined up. I got excited, and started to read all of the titles. My heart lept. There it is.

I snatch two copies, one for Ryo, and one for myself. Two copies remain.

We run into my uncle, and he says that he'll give us two dollars off both of the books. Oh happy day!

No comments:

Dessart in the Desert © 2007 by Ryan Alspaugh